Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Templates, Creativity and a Reprise

I have had more personal IM chats over my latest "OOPS!" post than any other I can remember. Lots of folks, maybe new, maybe not, had no idea what templates were about, how to spot them and why we should or shouldn't care if they are used in designs we feature. I've chatted with new designers and other bloggers, oldtimers and folks completely out of the fashion loop. I value each conversation. I learned a lot.

So I did a search of this blog and found my original post on the subject.   I haven't reread it, but if I remember my state of mind at the time, it was depression. I was then in high blogging mode. One month I reached 100 posts. I was in effect (and now much to my dismay) writing, photographing and presenting ads for folks. Some were even demanding (yep that's the word) posts.

It all got to be too much for me and eventually I changed the way I blogged. In the process I met some wonderful oldtimer designers who knew how many hundreds and thousands of hours it took to hone their skills. I dabbled in clothes for awhile. I was never all that good and did NOT love my graphics program -- at least the parts that went beyond the "pretty picture" manipulations. So I do know how long it takes to even figure out how to get your seams to match.

I decided then that I wanted to feature the people who had done the work, put in their time, made a PERSONAL difference to our world. I have never regretted that decision. Do I have some template goods in my inventory? Yep, a few. I try not to put them in any photographs. Actually, if I knew the name of the "real" creator, I would be happy to give them some gold stars as some of the work is exceptional.

So for all those folks that were wondering and didn't want to IM me *wink*, now you know the story.

And yes, as some friends have said, it has been a philosophical week. May next week bring more pretty pictures!

Comments

Serene Fairey said…
Well, I know I have been naive about templates. Even recently. Oops. :) Thing is, it takes a while to recognize. And I don't want to spend all my time haunting the templates sections on Xstreet to recognize the derivative works. I don't mind too much if they would at least make significant alterations to the templates, but many of them don't bother. Bummer.
Shelby Rasmuson said…
Yes I remember that original post, I realized that I knew so little about the business of making clothes in SL that I have tried to learn more. Like you I have dabbled in making stuff (I like the eyes I made) and I realized how easy it is to use easily available resources on the web and come up with things that could sell. I had to ask myself if that was really creative? I tip my hat to everyone who makes original content, the hours are long, pay is little and people steal your work...But some of us do appreciate it. I would love to be able to continue learning and maybe one day come up with something I can be proud of...
I totally get what you're saying .

Popular Posts